Thursday, May 28, 2009

Maddie

Some of you may wonder how Elijah and I spend our time. Well, four days out of the week we spend time with either Maddie or Aidan, two sweet kiddos both Elijah and I love. These are kiddos that I care for while their parents are working. In this post I'll tell you about Maddie and in the next post you'll hear about Aidan. The great thing about caring for kids is that is allows us to bring in a little extra money, but I get to be with Elijah. That is really important to Aaron and me. In addition, I also have developed relationships with their parents, which has been truly a blessing.


Maddie is two months older than Elijah so it is very fun to watch them grow and change together, but it can be very challenging on some days. Both Elijah and Maddie seem to be pretty easy going, but if one seems to be having an off day, or better yet, both of them seem to be having an off day, I can end up a bit frazzled! Fortunately, that is quite rare. It has been very helpful for me to see the stages Maddie goes through and how her parents respond because it prepares me for when Elijah does the same. Maddie's parents, Henry and Miranda, are such an example to me in both their faith and in parenting. I know they appreciate my time with Maddie, but I feel like I am the one who benefits the most from all I learn from them. For example, Maddie is a stellar sleeper and that is one of the reasons I decided to change my approach to Elijah's sleep. I'll tell you more about our stuggle with sleep som
e other time, but Miranda always seems happy to help when I have questions.

Elijah and Maddie are on pretty similar schedules also so that helps a great deal with managing two little ones at the same time. We spend 10 hours with Maddie every Tuesday. We get there at 7:30 am, eat breakfast and then it is nap time. I try to always spend time with God during the first nap of the day, but the great thing is that there are two naps if I have to miss it for some reason. I have found that my time reading the Bible and in prayer is the only way for me to maintain a balanced life spiritually, mentally, emotionally, relationally...well, in every way. I treasure my time with Him because He opens His hand and satisfies the desire of every living thing (Psalm 145:16, my life verse..)!

When the kids wake up they play for a bit until it is time for bottles and lunch. One of the challenges is getting three different meals prepared at each meal, getting all of us fed, including me, and then trying to get everything cleaned up before their morning or afternoon nap so I don't make a bunch of noise upstairs when Elijah is sleeping downstairs. Both of their meals are already prepared ahead of time, but it still takes me a good amo
unt of time to get all I need at the table, to get hands washed, bibs on, etc. Meals work well if neither Maddie or Elijah is being a challenging eater. Elijah usually eats well, but when he is overtired it is somewhat of a battle. Elijah has had a difficult time napping there since it isn't home, but I am really hoping that will change as he gets more adjusted to being at a different home. Wednesdays at home are usually difficult days of short naps and adjustment also since he is overtired from the short naps on Tuesdays. I am really praying that he will nap well there in the future.

So, after lunch its afternoon nap time. When they wake up we go for a walk to the park by their home and have our snacks. I think their favorite thing to do at the park is swing in the baby swings. I push them both and I take turns making each of them giggle as they swing near me. Elijah's second favorite park activity is to try to eat the wood chips when I let him sit in them. It is a full time job trying to keep them out of his mouth and then retrieving the occasional chip that makes it past my guard. Maddie, of course, is a lovely young lady who would never dare to put a wood chip in her mouth! So, that helps. Yuck! I think that may be because her second favorite thing is to people watch. She is very observant and watches everything that is going on around her very closely while Elijah is busy trying to put everything possible in his mouth. Maddie doesn't just observe people, but every detail in anything new she gets her hands on. It is neat to watch her study things with fascination. We don't have much time at the park before we have to head back home.

On the way home I have to walk up a killer hill with Elijah in the baby Bjorn and Maddie in the stroller. It is quite a good work out for me. When we get home I feed the kiddos dinner and then her parents come home. Then I rush home and try to get something
for Aaron and me to eat so I can get Elijah bathed, bottled, brushed and to bed by 7:00pm. Some days I am more prepared than others and have dinner precooked, but those days seem a bit rare. As my mentor, Daudette, would quote, "Fail to plan, plan to fail." I am growing in the area of planning though! Praise God!

One of the other things I love about Elijah being around Maddie is that she never stops moving. I think she has raised Elijah's curiosity in the area of mobility! She is about the same size as Elijah because she is a adorable, petite little lady so it may make him wonder even more why she can do all she does and he doesn't.

I am thankful to be a part of this family's life and for them to be a part of ours.

1 comment:

  1. Dana! What a sweet post. We, too, are very thankful to have you & Elijah as a part of our lives. Thank you for taking such good care of our sweet Maddie.

    ReplyDelete